‘If a book is well written, I always find it too short.’ ~Jane Austin
I love a good set of books. I love when an author draws you in and you become emotionally invested in characters. When one book is simply not enough. These characters become friends and you need to know what the next step in their journey is. Did their happily ever after actually end in a happily ever after? What happened to their kids, their cousins or friends? There are several types of book series. I enjoy both types.
The first and most traditional is when book one is followed by book two and the story generally picks up where the other left off (think Harry Potter). These books must be read in order and while each book generally has its own plot they are part of a greater picture. They leave you hungering for more, you want to see where the protagonist life goes, not just this year but in 15 years. You feel invested in their future.
The second and my personal favorite is the type of series where supporting characters get their own book. This is my favorite because I feel like you get a better view of their literary world. We get to see each character grow, the lovable best friend gets her own story, the playboy brother settle down. You get glimpses into everyone’s future without the same story being told over again. Sometimes you get see another side or point of view to scene that has already happened. I love these types of books because it gives all of the stories so much more depth. While these stories typically take place over only a few years I feel like there is just so much more story that we are given.
In no particular order, here are some of my favorite book series and the links to the author pages… Enjoy!
- Outlander by Diana Gabaldon. I know this is now a Starz TV series (which is really good) however book 1 was originally published in the 80’s. I love this author and have read all the books several times. This series is written in a chronological order but there is also a spin off series for one of the supporting characters.
- The Hunger Games by Suzzanne Collins. Again I know this is a movie series, typically watched by young adults, but read the books! They are really well written, the stories are great especially if you’re into that dystopian theme. Read in order.
- Bluegrass State of Mind by Kathleen Brooks. This is the first book in the Bluegrass series. These books all focus on different characters that are all connected because they live in the same small town. There are some steamy scenes in this one!
- Odd Thomas by Dean Koontz. Dean Koontz has been a favorite of mine since I was in middle school. I have read just about every book he has written. I love this series! The characters are amazing and it has a little bit of everything… Suspense, action, love, ghosts! Definitely a must read!
- Frankenstein Book 1: Prodigal Son by Dean Koontz. Again I love all things that are Dean Koontz, so he gets two spots on my favorite list. This series has a Koontz twist on a story that’s an old favorite .
- The Billionaire Wins the Game by Melody Anne. Book one in the Billionaire Bachelors series. A series about the Anderson family billionaires and those who love them. This series has some hot scenes!
Well I only meant to list five… buuuttttt this was the closest I could get. Narrowing down the series that I love were tough! I hope you love them as much as I do. Keep an eye out for more series recommendations in future posts!